Welcome to "Around The World in 12 Dishes". We will be taking you on a journey around the world, (loosely) following in Phileas Fogg's footsteps, exploring 12 different countries with our children, by cooking 12 dishes with them. One for each country visited.
Not only is it an exciting and different way to learn about cultures, but cooking with children brings a host of benefits - from numeracy to science. How can you beat that?
Adventures In Mommydom, Creative Family Fun, Glittering Muffins, Juggling with Kids, Kitchen Counter Chronicles, Make, Do & Friends, Mom 2 Posh Little Divas, Mummymummymum, Rainy Day Mum, Red Ted Art, The Educators' Spin On It and The Outlaw Mom have come together to help you on your food journey and will each cook a dish with our children and post about it - to help inspire you to have a go! Then go out there, cook, blog, and join in the linky fun! Check out the other great posts as well!
This month we are visiting Russia. So Vin and I made some traditional Russian Blinis. Blinis are mini pancakes, traditionally eaten with sour cream and smoked salmon or caviar. We're mostly vegetarian in this house so we had raspberry jam with ours- yum!
- 2/3c flour
- 1/2c flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tspyeast
- 1c warm milk
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 egg, separated
- In a large bowl, mix flours, salt and instant yeast, and make a well in the centre.
- Pour in milk, mixing until smooth. Cover and let rise until doubled, about an hour.
- Stir cooled melted butter and your egg yolk into batter. In a separate bowl, whisk egg white until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter. Cover and let stand 20 minutes.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Drop tbsp dollops of dough into pan without crowding. Cook for about 1 minute or until bubbles form and break. Turn and cook for about 30 seconds. Cover blini and keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with toppings of choice and a little flag if you like!
So that's it from us, check out the fun at all the other participants, then get cooking and come back to link up here - the linky is open for a year so you've got plenty of time to get inspired!